Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Dang Jumping Pillow


The jumping pillow calls to me! The huge, colorful, trampoline-like bouncing structure just screamed FUN when we first arrived in Christchurch. Well, it was FUN, but also very dangerous! It was especially appealing during the torrential downpour :) And especially dangerous... I was lucky to come away with a mere thumb dislocation and foot injury. I knew things had gone array after a slip down one side of the slippery slide. My knee twisted just before I jammed my foot, and then I caught myself with my forefinger/thumb on my left hand.


This is a picture of Becky popping/shoving/pulling my thumb back into place. I'd walked back to our place before I showed Ali my hand. The second she saw it, Ali was like, "That is NOT normal!" That's when I ran for help! Becky told me to go to a doctor since there can be long-term nerve damage from popping it back in... but I told her it's overrated and we'd waste time setting up the appointment and arranging to go in and everything- just for a thumb- honestly! So, I bit Ali's camera case and endured the pain as I felt my thumb return to its original position. But worse than my thumb problem, my foot! After some anatomical study of the foot and ankle, I've discovered that I serioulsy strained the extensor digitorum longus tendon on the top of my foot.

It hurt. Bad. I decided to wait a while to tell you all about so that you wouldn't have to worry. So now, two weeks later, I am almost all the way healed! Now I just have to deal with tenderness where I ride my bike :)

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oohh, Stef, I'm so sorry. I hope you are injury/burn free the rest of the trip. Glad Becky was there for you to pop that thumb back in. Rick's dislocated both his knees and said it hurt like the dickens.

Anonymous said...

How scary that must have been for you. Thank goodness it wasn't more serious than that. Although that was bad enough. I know you won't, but TRY to be careful, because you are loved you know.

BeeGee

Julie T said...

You are a brave, brave, hard-core girl! hank you for not worrying us on this one since there was nothing we could do but feel awful! I'm so glad it's much better and just hope you don't stress it again before it has time to heal! How is the shin injury doing that you brought to NZ with you?? Did you tote Tiger Balm, by the way? (I'll bring some:)