Sunday, February 10, 2008

"I haven't got enough hands!"

If you're a true Kiwi, you have "tea" between 3 and 7 times a day. Tea always consists of a hot drink (could be coffee) and is always accompanied by a cake, bread, or snack of the sort. Well, I just assumed that tea was a crucial component of the daily routine when at home, but boy was I wrong! If you're going to be on the road during tea time, you bring the thermos with you. And if you want water or a cold drink, then too bad about ya! You get tea. Mags and her best friend Carol took Ali and me to Riverton, a beach town, on Waitangi day, our day off school. Waitangi day is a big deal here- It is the day the Maori and the European settlers signed an agreement concerning the division of land.


Anyway, we went to about 4-5 beaches and had so much fun walking in the sand, collecting seashells, and climbing big rocks. I am pretty proud of my idea to take a picture showing our "muscles" :) I think I made Mags nervous when I pulled out the rotten paua meat from the shell... she had me wash my hands straightaway.


First, you must understand that Carol is a very independent woman, and very capable. She was born sans a left arm. She can sure use that nub though- it's amazing to watch her balance things, pick up bags, and even tie bows with that little nub. So, once we finished on the first beach, it was time for tea. Once we'd gotten everything out of the back of the car and were all ready to go find a spot to eat on the beach, Carol said the funniest thing! Hurriedly eating her muffin and watching her hot mug balance on the ground she just said, "hold on girls, I haven't got enough hands!" Ali and I couldn't help ourselves from laughing! We (people with 2 hands) usually say that phrase when we're overwhelmed, but to hear her say that was just too funny! We all laughed (I really couldn't help myself) as we packed up for lunch on the beach.

5 comments:

gwt said...

How nice of Mags and Carole to take you to the beaches (4 in one day!). They look very nice. I know something about tea time, having lived in England for a while.

I am glad Mags is watching out for your hygiene after touching rotting things.

Take care and keep up the posts!

Noelle said...

Sounds like a fabulous time. You do realize you're making us all extremely jealous with all your sunny beach pictures don't you? Ahhh how I would love to be where you are today. Enjoy the sun for me!

Anonymous said...

The fun never stops. Your trip to the beach looks groovy. The not enough hands remark was great. I notice you are picking up the lingo.. Like "Wash my hands straightaway." Good for you Matey.

Julie T said...

That's a scream that you have to pack your literal tea with you if you're on the road! They do take their breaks oh so seriously! We've certainly lost that perspective in the States-it's a shame too! Are you noticing the weather changing yet? Cooler, more rain? Noelle and Heather have snow; I have rain and cold, gray days. One month, two days til we hit the runways!

Shawna said...

I'm so glad you are keeping this blog. I love every entry. I loved the cow chasing picture--for some reason it captures the real you! I think about you everyday!

Love, Shawna