Tuesday, February 26, 2008

February 14, 2008

Here is an excerpt from my journal entry for the day of love:

"Here I am. Valentines Day 2008. At least I am listening to Jim Brickman and wearing target heart socks ☺ Can life get better? I ate frosted sugar cookies and made cutout valentines. This morning we had class in yet, a different room- C-301. It was super cramped and hard to learn. Our new students must have been freaked out. Well, we ate chocolate, and Haeree and Marcie gave everyone a valentine. They were all so funny and colorful!
After that, I choked down half a chili/grated cheese sandwich and rode like the wind to Windsor North primary school. When we went inside, Principal Roger Stephenson told us we can eat in the staff lounge and help ourselves to tea anytime. I love New Zealand :) We went outside straightaway and got some resources out of the shed. I was kind of rushed because we didn’t know exactly what we needed and didn’t really have an idea of the space we were to use. We set up some cones and things and then collected up the kids from lunch. They were already divided into teams, and were all set to play competitive games. Since Megan and I just had group games planned, we quickly came up with team relays so they could use their teams.

I tried to do a name game at the beginning, but alliteration was too much for those youngsters. They did running, hopping, the crab walk… and all sorts of just running games. After the lunch games, we all separated out into classrooms. I am with Room 8- and Mr. Goodsir. I introduced myself to the class and answered questions about what its like to live in America. It was funny to answer questions about New York city and Hollywood. They LOVED my American accent.

We had roast chicken for tea, very good! Ali and I rode to the church for a Valentine's Day party! I gave Cam and Tyler really funny valentines, and I got this strange compulsion to eat a stranger's cookie that was sitting abandoned on a table. It turns out this little boy made it for his mom, so I spent the next while running away from him and hiding under the ping pong table. Oops. We had a dance party, a cake walk and lots of celebrations of love. It seems as if Ali and I are either clawing each other or poking one another's ears out, but in reality, we are making half a heart on each side of each other's faces... My crazy poses don't really work out most of the time.

3 comments:

Noelle said...

Stef,
I can't believe how tan you are already. I guess your burn finally faded away. I hope your eating of the Valentine treat doesn't cause you any more guilt! Poor kid!

Anonymous said...

You are as "brown as a little berry." That's what people said to me when I was your age. You look fantastic, but keep in mind that the sun does give people cancer and the dreaded wrinkles.
You know I come from love when I send you these warnings. Even Uncle Ken has a sore that won't heal on his forehead from the sun, and he has to see the dermatologist about it. He came to visit me the day before Valentine's and brought me fresh cracked crab and french bread. It was soooooooo delicious.

Julie T said...

Without even looking at the other comments, my first sentence was going to be "Stef-do you realize how tan you are getting to be?!" It hasn't come through before on past photos. You look so happy and you and Ali still seem to be having fun together so that's great! Too bad you don't know a thing about NYC and Hollywood! What'dja do, fake it??