Tuesday, February 19, 2008

An Extraordinary Example


Today is “SDL” (Student Directed Learning) day for school. In essence, that means, NO SCHOOL! This day off came at the perfect time, because it has given me a chance to reflect on my goals and align my life with the things that are important to me. I am a little embarrassed to admit it, but today was the first chance I have really taken to reflect on President Hinckley’s influence on the church, and on my life personally. I’m not going to share all the inner workings of my mind/heart, but wanted to express some of the most valuable things I remember from President Hinckley’s life:

1. Stand a Little Taller- President Hinckley taught us to “Stand a little taller, be a little better, look to God and live.” He inspired me to take a look at my life and change just one thing at a time without feeling overwhelmed.

2. The 6 Be’s ☺- The 6 Be’s are President Hinckley’s counsel and prayer for youth given in the year 2000. This list was posted on my bathroom mirror all through high school: Be GRATEFUL, Be SMART Be CLEAN Be TRUE Be HUMBLE and Be PRAYERFUL. I find strength in living these principles and using them as a guide in daily decisions.

3. The Proclamation- In September of 1995, President Hinckley gave an inspired and definitive statement on the family. I love the proclamation because it characterizes the family as the fundamental unit of society and clarifies gender roles, marriage, and parenthood in terms of the Plan of Happiness.

4. Temples- President Hinckley dedicated/rededicated 92 different temples! I believe that the existence of temples lessens Satan’s power on the earth. The temple is the source and center of our covenants. President Hinckley’s commitment to temple work gives saints greater opportunity to gain instruction, realize eternal potential, make covenants, unite families, gain strength in facing trials, experience peace, and gain personal revelation. What an awesome gift!

5. The Perpetual Education Fund- President Hinckley introduced this program of the church in 2001 to help provide members with a good education and step away from poverty. Members who receive loans learn valuable character traits and are asked to give back to the fund according to their ability (perpetual…). I believe that education is the key to opportunity and I am grateful for this inspired program which allows faithful saints all around the world with the ability to gain a better education and in turn, better serve their families, the church, and the community.


What an extraordinary example of discipleship is found in the life of Gordon B. Hinckley. Full of wit and wisdom, faith and determination, President Hinckley tirelessly traveled the world, lifting the saints, building the kingdom and testifying as a special witness of Christ. His example is proof that those who are anxiously engaged in service and righteousness are energized by the Spirit! His example inspires me to be more passionate about bringing souls unto Christ. How lucky we are to have had his influence as a prophet, seer and revelator in our lives!


“I love being among the saints.” –Gordon B. Hinckley

4 comments:

Julie T said...

Those are just awesome comments! I wish I'd said them first but at least I knew the man and had the opportunity to follow his counsel.

Marcindra LaPriel said...

Stefanie Tanner,

Basically I love you. Actually, there's nothing basic about it. It's pretty advanced. I love your zest for life and your devotion to gospel principles. It breaks my poor little heart that I rarely get to see you and Ali and Lisa and Ashley.

Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Very well said Stefanie. He must have been a wonderful man and leader. I have never heard a negative word concerning him. Everyone just loved him so much.

Heather said...

Thank you for those thoughts. I really appreciated reading those. Your children will love to read the things you loved and learned from the prophet of your growing-up years.

P.S. Love the sidebar pictures!