Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Let the Adventure Begin

Thursday Jan 10
It was hard to say goodbye to Heather and the kids this afternoon, but a little easier knowing that my long-anticipated adventure was finally beginning! Tanner offered to pay ALL the money in his plastic bag walnut game winnings for a ticket to come with me on the airplane.
Once I got inside, I somehow, someway, finagled my two rolling suitcases, my backpack stuffed to the zipper, and my black duffel to the check-in counter. That was an accomplishment in itself, really. It was happy and sad news when my bags weighed in at 54 and 46lbs. I was sad that I went over the limit, but glad that I hadn’t packed one more pound! There was hope in redistribution! I pulled all my junk over to the side and opened up both big messes. It seemed impossible to accurately gauge the size and weight of certain things to switch around and then zip it back up again. So I called Megan in desperation and had her calm me down. A Russian lady was watching me struggle alone in the corner and came over to offer moral support. She ended up being very helpful because she stayed with my other bags as I lugged my suitcases back up to weigh at the counter. My second attempt I weighed in at 51 and 49 lbs. So then I just kept switching things in the front pockets until the scales evened out. Balance.

3 comments:

Julie T said...

Boy, have I learned on that one...when you're slightly over, just remove something you can live without and walk away from it! Also, don't be shy in asking, "Is there anything I can do?" Sometimes it's just a lifesaver!

Alison Spencer said...

I've never seen "finalged" spelled. How exciting!

Noelle said...

I can't believe they were so picky! Honestly, it's the same amount of weight people!!! One question, how are you going to bring anything home if you're already loaded to the max?