Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Emily the Adult

This seemingly young girl came traipsing up to gate B24, and literally shoved her dad aside with a face that spoke, “ How could you even dream of sitting by me?” Strike one in my book. I really do try to reserve judgment, but such obvious and extreme disrespect doesn’t fly with me. Her Chanel sunglasses (in 30 degree, rainy weather?) and outfit of the like was kind of a strike two. Then she called her boyfriend to explain the terrible time she had getting through security. She basically summarized her life story in describing why she carries 12 different bottles of prescription pills at all times. She got into some pretty personal things and the business man across from me finally got my attention and just shrugged his shoulders and lifted his hands in the air. I was honestly quite embarrassed for this poor girl. It seems that often times the richest are in fact, the poorest.

Emily ended up following me onto the plane and sitting between me and the grad student on the isle. She told us that we were lucky, because she usually travels with her cat, but left the cat home in LA this time because it scratched her last time. Now she has a scratch mark and bruise that are getting in the way of her modeling success. Then she and the grad student got into a little tiffy about direct vs. non-stop flights. I could go into it, but basically, Emily was insistent about a direct flight the other woman knew doesn’t exist. Emily saved a little face by explaining that “I never do things like book flight reservations for myself, I always just pay other people to take care of that messy stuff.” (Chomping all her gum all the while…) She told us that we’d better consider it a privilege to sit next to her, because we will never get the opportunity to see her same hair color ever again since her stylist created and patented that brown herself. She’s been using that stylist since she started modeling at age 13. Once she got talking about all the things she does whenever she goes to Vegas, I decided to ask her age. She is turning 20 in two months and signing on with a new APS this weekend. That is some kind of Adult Performance Society- Emily is “not a child anymore.” I don’t think I would have traded my experience getting to know Emily for anything. But our short was about the longest I could handle Emily. Her poor father sat behind us.

3 comments:

Noelle said...

So sad...I'm glad her leg of the trip was the shortest.

NatalieD said...

Is Emily related to Paris Hilton?

Heather said...

I'll bet her father was grateful to you for being her seat companion so he wouldn't have to be.