Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Case Study: Bi-Polar Disorder

Thurday Jan 10…continued…?

What an incredible and memorable ride to Auckland! Ali and I talked with Matthew, the gay drunk man, for a good 2 hours of the flight before his sleep meds kicked in. We discussed New Zealand geography and culture, his gay lifestyle, and Mormon beliefs. He told me all about his family’s response to his coming out of the closet and I regretfully listened to the story of his first kiss with his partner on gay pride day. Matthew’s favorite song is, “True Colors.” Meanwhile, he drank 8 glasses of scotch, took 12 pills, and rubbed some mysteriously potent cream on his forehead. He told me they were all sleeping pills, but for some reason, I have my doubts. Claiming to be a scientist, Matthew generously offered me any of his sleep medication. I politely declined. I was kind of freaked out when he gave me a phone number for his aunt who is a Taro reader in our first stop: Whitianga (pronounced, Fitianga). He bought about 12 packs of duty free Malboro before boarding the plane.


Matthew was very forthcoming about his issues with an anxiety disorder, ADD and Bi-polar condition. He said being bi-polar is just the worst, and the best. One day you just feel like you’ve been hit by a semi- and then the next, you’re literally in a state of mania where you just buy anything and everything you see. Even if you don’t want it. He said that in his manic stage he is very dangerous to himself and others. But even though you know you’re dangerous you don’t want to stop because mania is FUN! Matthew was polite in always questioning whether or not I need to take a “tiddly-winks” before he fell asleep again. I’m not sure if that is an NZ term, or just a Matthew-ism ☺ He was so dead asleep, I felt comfortable enough to snap his picture and step over him, balancing on the arm-rest, to get to the toilet.

I’ve can’t imagine a ruder awakening than the one I experienced when an entire cup of scotch tipped, pouring down my lower back, through my pants, and soaking my underwear. It was a pain in the rear end! I woke up frantically attempting to stand, and hoping I hadn’t lost bladder control during my sleep. I shook Ali awake, and began jabbering about who knows what! I’m sure she was very confused as well. Apparently Matthew didn’t start that 9th glass of scotch, just wedged it between his legs as deep sleep approached… I changed my pants and rounded up an employee to scrounge up a bag where I could store my scotch-ridden pants. But, I was stuck with the wet, smelly underwear. Next time you fly, pack extra underwear, you never know what could happen! I couldn’t help myself from thinking that Singapore Air would have handled this situation far more professionally than Air New Zealand did. For starters, that flight attendant NEVER should have given a passenger 9 glasses of alcohol within 2 hours…

5 comments:

Noelle said...

Oh my gosh! What a story--I bet you'll never ever forget the day when you got a glass of scotch spilled down your underwear! Sounds like you had some really colorful experiences on the planes!

Anonymous said...

I am shocked that an airline would sell that much liquor to one man!!!
Are they out of their mind. It is against the law to sell more that two or three drinks (at the most) to one person. And he was a gay at that. Oh well, traveling certainly does broaden one.

BeeGee

Julie T said...

Did it ever occur to you to just temporarily treat your pants as a wetsuit(to snorkle or swim with the dolphins) and just "bag the underwear"? Lots of people actually live that way!

NatalieD said...

Did you witness one of the manic episodes on the plane?

Heather said...

I never thought to bring spare underwear for MYSELF on the plane, though I routinely do that for the kids. Sorry about the stink!