Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Camping Out of a Suitcase

So, we just played and played in the ocean forever. We were starving but the nearest food was in a tavern 20 min away so we went and got chips (fries) for dinner. It was quite the experience in that tavern :) On the beach we just caught waves, did tricks, loved each other, laughed, took pics with cams underwater camera (i NEED NEED NEED one of those) and talked. We had 5 boys and 5 girls- two of the boys were Mark’s kids who are really great. Then we got out, and played ultimate for about an hour. I’ve never loved it more! It was so awesome.


I'll tell you what, I’ve never gotten so comfortable in my suit before- with the skin tight suction black-water farting wet suits and the beach experience later (cant wear shorts in ultimate—the wet short chafe your legs) I got just really comfortable just going around. These are just the best people ever. It was AWESOME to just talk with a smaller group because there were just less people to handle. It was great.


On the way home we discussed delinquent teens and watched our video clips of crashing waves and CHACO pics. All 10 of us that went last night had Chacos :) PRAISE NOELLE!!!! I have some! They really are the BEST! (By the way, my Chaco tan-line is coming along!)


Okay, we spent the first night in Whiting at the beach and getting used to the camping thing. I had to completely repack, and discovered that I definitely brought WAY WAY TOO MUCH. I didn’t bring a mess kit. Bad idea. And, I am burning to a crisp. I’ve pretty much lost my pride (this is since just yesterday) and decided to wear sunscreen.


Yesterday I woke up looking like Quasi because my burn on my right cheek swelled so much that the bag under my eye got so big and my skin so stretched. Sick! Another thing: it is like lame in this group if you do wear any makeup. We basically just play and laugh and sometimes brush our hair for the sake of pictures, but honestly we don’t even really do that.


These last two nights we have stayed in a place called, oh shoot, I forgot. Well we went to an angora rabbit shearing yesterday which was basically incredible. They stretch the bunny like its being tortured and then use these fast clipper things to sheer off all the fur. More details later on that.


People brought a guitar, frisbee, soccer ball, rugby ball, KITE and other things that are really great. There are several musicians, so if were waiting we just jam to the tunes. The temple in Hamilton was AMAZING! I ran into some YSA girls who were so friendly and awesome and really learned a lot from them. Also we saw some Samoans on the lawn. The Maori just offer all they have (we got lots of candy.) YSA is a huge deal and they have "jam sessions" on Sunday nights at the temple! Different than America, huh?


My van is really fun. Cam, my driver, served in Australia so he’s really used to driving on the opposite side and he’s just really trustworthy. In the car we play samurais unite, zip zip bong and a new game to me called 7's. It’s just a great time. The vans are a piece of junk and the trailers keep popping open while we are on the freeway. It is SO green here, and what makes it diff from the northwest is that there are lots more hills and they are smaller so you can see lots in the distance. It is truly breathtaking. Also, the roads are SOOO windy and there are more beautiful bodies water at almost every turn.


We’re starting group devotionals every night. For cooking, we are just in groups of about 4—5 and that group is just in charge of food for the day. It stinks when you’re on, but it changes a lot and everyone is more than willing to help. The people in this group are so down to earth and nice. A couple potentially catty girls, but not yet. I love camping like this, but honestly, I’m excited to get to Invercargill and get settled. It’s hard living out of a suitcase and packing up every night. The wet /dewy tent and towel don’t help either. Well, I’m outta time but I love you and hope to hear from you soon!

6 comments:

Noelle said...

I'm glad you're getting to know the island people--they really are so friendly. The rabbit shearing sounded a bit much for me. I'm GLAD you love the chacos. :)

NatalieD said...

I can't think of anyone besides you who has such a remarkable zest for life and for trying new experiences. You go, girl!!!

Julie T said...

Stef! I am soooo sorry about the sunburn thing but am glad you are now willing to protect yourself! I have read that due to latitude and longitude the sun can be lethal there and you wear it every day no matter what! Sounds like the interaction and dynamics are what will really make this adventure the most valuable for you. Not nearly the same as going alone or with family. And don't worry: I'm not going to say a THING about bringing twice as much junk as you should. Don't worry-you won't hear anything from me on that. (So glad Cam is driving and you don't have to-at least yet! I'll start praying that your van holds together!)

Anonymous said...

Dearest Stefanie:

All I can say is Good Grief, it sounds like you are having a blast with some great people. Keep it up. Know how loved you are.

BeeGee

Bryan Tanner said...

Wow-wee Stef. Thanks for all the details. You make us feel like we aren't missing out as much.

p.s. It only takes ONE bad sun burn to contract skin cancer...

Heather said...

Bummer on the burn. I feel your pain. Ditto about the bunny thing, poor little rabbits! But, better than castrating like we saw on the ranch in AZ. What is Samurai Unite?