Monday, March 24, 2008

YSA Jams!




Our weekend in Dunedin was honestly one of the most fun weekends of my life. We started out getting dropped off at the Southland surfing competition. Music blasting, vendors selling, waves crashing, wetsuits wandering... it was just amazing. I made friends with a surfer dude and watched little punks ride their skateboards up to unsuspecting cars and get free rides :)

Next we met up with the other (meaning, non BYU students) YSA's and divided into groups and got in vans. We stopped at KFC on the way. Mags gave me a pack lunch, so I felt no need to waste money on fattening food. Well, it was then and there that I learned first hand that Cook Islanders DO NOT let people sit at a table with food without eating. It defies culture. They bought me a 3-pc chicken set with mashed potatoes, chips, and a refillable drink. And that was that. We arrived at the awesome lodge, got settled and played every group game you can imagine. (i.e. Samuri's Unite, Boogidy Boogidy Boo, Zip Zip Bong...) We had pizza for tea (love it!) and just got to know each other and played all night long.

8 am came early after a late bedtime. We headed to the beach for our service project. I wore a sarong (sp???) and flower in my hair- courtesy of Annie and Trio, the girls from our branch her in Invers (how the locals refer to Invercargill). It was fun to walk along and pick up trash- I was sort of surprised how much we collected. We came back for a "light" lunch (nothing is ever light) and then back to the beach for group games. The most fun game was basically chicken wars on land. Except it's scarier since the goal is to retrieve a bandana wrapped around your opponents face, and since your opponent is more likely than not, large, brown, and very maori. We played other games involving full body rolls in the sand, untying knots with your teeth, and frantically chasing each other short distances. Too much fun :)

That night we had an awesome Hangi (INTENSE Maori meal cooked IN the ground/earth) and I learned 4 new chords on the guitar. I am SO excited about the guitar. I can't wait to get home and practice practice practice. It really has become a passion of mine here in NZ. If there are 2 things I've gotten more passionate about, its the guitar, and oil painting. We had a dance party with DJ and all that night. Can I just say, it was a lucky thing me, Brooke and Ben were there to get the party started because those YSA's had some serious issues conversing/socializing with the opposite sex. Regardless, it was a fun dance!


We had the sacrament and testimony meeting Monday, followed by rotating workshops on finances, personal revelation, dating and goal setting. I've many to many a workshop on dating, and this trivia game was the best one BY FAR. Talk to me later for details. We had a panel discussion that night which mostly flopped. There were a few good things answered... The questions were not sensored which made for a highly inapropriate and awkward setting, there was only one (soft spoken) female on the panel, and the countless "what if" questions concerning temple divorces and family unity got really old. Ben and I lightened up the discussion by inquiring what the President deemed to be the best hand holding technique :)

Monday brought bowling games with old car tires, and a rousing game of soccer, the latter of which I did not participate. I borrowed Harry Potter 7 from the Library the day before we left, and that poor boy needed my attention. I am completely and utterly absorbed in the book- always anxious to discover what adventures or information the next page holds. I don't know HOW I've managed to survive this last year not knowing what happens to Harry. (FYI- I'm currently on the chapter titled, "The Deathly Hallows." I've read the entire book aloud to Ben and Maggie, which has slowed down my pace, but given me friends to converse with as I discover the wonder that is: JK Rowling.


It always takes longer to clean up camp than you expect. That was a long process, but we had soup and leftover pizza to enjoy on our way out of camp. We said our goodbye's and headed to the steepest street in the world!!!!!! Baldwin Street We had tons of fun posing for pictures, racing up, doing cartwheels and just messing around. President drove us, and in efforts to please the American kids, attempted to drive up the hill, disregarding the sign reading "NO heavy vehicles beyond this point." Well, we didn't make it to the top, and my lungs were tired from screaming by the time we reached the bottom again. After realizing we were not going to make it (in a full 12 passenger van with all our luggage) we proceeded to roll backward, back down the hill. Scariest thing of my life.


Cadbury world was pretty great. not as great as anticipated due to the fact that it was a public holiday and all the employees were out of the factory. We still saw the production DVD, tasted cocoa beans, experienced the world's largest chocolate waterfall, and ate chocolate from the handrails where it had splashed. Fun times.

The weekend was so much fun, and I'll always remember the fun people I met there and the good memories we made. It was really cool to spend time and become friends with the saints my age here in Southland, as we are all growing in the gospel together.

6 comments:

Heather said...

That sounds like the most AWESOME weekend! Except the rolling back down the hill. That is my recurring nightmare and I have no idea how you survived.
I need to find out how to play Samurai's and Boogidy Boogidy when you get back.
Did anybody get hurt on the Chicken Bandana game? I would think the caucasians would be more cautious playing against such formidable opponents.
So excited that you're getting pumped about guitar. If I were still in college, I'd take all the guitar classes I could. That's one thing from college you'll really use in your real life.
I don't know how you lasted this long without Harry, but I am glad you're reading together, having discussion buddies is the best.
Super post, babe.

Noelle said...

I've had that nightmare too. I would be freaking out, no wonder you were screaming at the top of your lungs. Did the president know that would happen when he attempted to climb the hill?

This was an awesome post. I loved all the detail. I'm totally jealous that you got to go to a cadbury factory and eat right off the railing--just like Willie Wonka!

You got some great photos too! (I especially love the one where it looks like you're luging down the giant hill.) way to lighten up an intense discussion panel.

Lastly, some of my friends were chaperones this weekend for a YSA conference in NZ. I am guessing it was probably the same one. Did you see any american chaperones named Sherry and Eric?

Anonymous said...

Oh my, oh my, what experiences you are having in the land down under. You will never, never forget it, that's for sure. You look mah vel ous dahling. So brown and healthy looking. Mom and Dad took off Monday, our time, at 3:p.m. from Los Angeles, but I'm sure you knew that. What a happy meeting that will be. I love you Stefanie.

Hermana Whitehead said...

Oh my goodness. If there was such a thing as having too much fun...you'd have it. But then again, you make your own fun. That's what makes you so special. I'm sure you'll look back on these years as the best times ever. Enjoy! You are blessed.

Bryan Tanner said...

Wowee Stef! They sure know how to pack in the adventure for you.

The things that interested me most about your post were:

-Taking a greater interest in the guitar. (I just bought two new guitar books myself.)

-Car tire bowling. Was the purpose to really knock down the tower of people at the bottom of the hill?

-The hill of death. I don't think you were with me when I took Candice to the Village Theater and we rolled half way down 108th in the icy winter. After about 100 meters, we spun a 180 at slid down the hill nose first--so it wasn't that bad after that. Ask Noelle, she was there.

-I am glad the people there are so eager to please.

-Keep having fun!

Love you Stef.

Julie T said...

Stef! I loved your new posts and am glad you had such a great time at YSA conference! That steepest hill in the world was awesome and I am excited that you have decided to devote yourself to the guitar. I am convinced that all you need to do is always have it at arms length and you will become best of friends! Love you lots! NZ is the bomb!