Wednesday, March 12, 2008

One SUPER Saturday

Mormon Helping Hands Day
"Mormon Helping Hands Day" had been advertised in the Branch announcements for several weeks. Finally Saturday morning arrived and the troops showed up at the chapel ready to serve! We all put on these sweet jersey’s and got in members’ cars to head to the service site. We ended up cleaning out some ancient, southland author’s house. By “cleaning out,” I mean: doing the dishes, mopping the floor, swiping cobwebs, organizing books, weeding, de-bushing, ripping off walls of the home, sawing and nailing up new boards, painting, and all sorts of renovation. We installed a toilet too!

An Urban Picnic
I took a little cat-nap midday, and then headed to our favorite grocery store Pak-n-save for dinner. We got ingredients to make cookies (not to be confused with biscuits which are hard as a rock) at Cam and Tyler’s homestay that night. Ashley and I went in on a loaf of bread and yogurt together for tea and then debated on where to eat it. After much “conversation,” Ashley, Lisa and I ended up eating in the median on Tay street :) (That means I won!) That is one memorable picnic dinner.
Cookie Party!

The bike ride out to Otatara was long and hard, but worth it! It was such a windy ride, but the thought of actual cookies made it easier to bear. With 7 people, we made about 5 different cookie recipes and watched High School Musical together! What a way to spend a Saturday night. I learned, yet again, something about my character. Or maybe it’s just about cooking. I really, really, really dislike it when people tell me exactly what to do in the kitchen. I want a domain to work within, but I feel so helpless and dumb when I’m told to pour in 1/3 cup of this or drop in a stick of butter. I just feel like I’m five. Maybe I’m too sensitive, but I just like to be in charge of something and not have people snapping at me if I do something differently from them in the kitchen. There. Venting over :) Their host dad Philip drove us home with our bikes since our new program rule makes it illegal for us to bike after dark.

3 comments:

Heather said...

What was the best cookie you made? Loved your dinner in the median. I've never even heard of that.

Noelle said...

I bet it was someone else's recipe....You installed a toilet? I find it interesting that it's ILLEGAL to bike after dark.

Julie T said...

Just illegal on the BYU program or for everyone? I'm glad of that rule-you deserve a break! HSM must have been a blast with a cookie fest! But with no central heating you've got to be getting pretty anxious for Samoa! I'd be a wreck! I can't stand to be cold. I'm even bringing a wetsuit so I can stay in the ocean longer!