Thursday, April 10, 2008

The REAL wrap up

My time in New Zealand has come to an end. What an adventure this has been! Leaving the country for 4 months is a big deal. I have fulfilled so many goals and experienced things I have been dreaming about my entire life. Here is a list of the top 5 things I have learned in this gorgeous country:

1. The outdoors makes you honest.
Your true self comes out when you are FREEZING on the top of a mountain. Fears are exposed and true character is displayed as you conquer fears and do things that are hard. I have found that people are just more honest as they get in touch with the outdoors and ponder on their life and the plan of salvation. Heavenly Father’s creations make so obvious His existence and love for us.

2. Be a good friend to have a good friend.
That’s just the way is goes! More communication is not always better, but healthy communication is NECESSARY! A true friend is someone you can just chat with. Someone who knows you. Someone who brings out the best in you. Someone who laughs at your jokes and someone with whom you share commonalities. A friend is someone who treats you well.

3. You can do more than you think you can.
I surprised myself more times than I can count by just “giving it a go” as John Kappa would say. I am more capable than I think I am sometimes, and I can do hard things! It is so fulfilling to do things I didn’t think I could do, and that confidence spreads to other areas of my life. Prime example: rock climbing. It was hard and scary, but SO fun as I gave it a go and had confidence in myself and my gear.

4. Attitude is everything… most of the time.
You can make or break an activity or a day with attitude. Life is what you make it.

5. Good gear is WORTH IT!
I love headlamps. I love quality shoes. I love rain gear. I love nalgenes. I love The North Face brand. I love all things REI. I love Outdoors Unlimited. I am envious of my friends who spent money on good sleeping bags.

All in all, this was a great trip/semester which I will remember for the rest of my LIFE!

6 comments:

Noelle said...

Great post AF! I am so glad you had this amazing experience. Thanks for letting us live it through you a little bit. :)

Heather said...

What a treasure. Thanks for the summary post. I think life-changing experiences were had by all.

Phil said...

Great advice. I am glad the trip was so amazing. We read and smile.

Becca said...

I have been having so much fun browsing around your blog! What an absolutely priceless experience... I'm so glad you're living it up while you can (like noelle in london, noelle and I hawaii, etc). Now's the time! Awesome...

Hermana Whitehead said...

Stefanie,
You would make a fantastic missionary, my dear. I'm not saying that you should do that, because that has to be up to you and Heavenly Father, but I'm saying you would be awesome.
You give out so many words of wisdom in your blogs and have so much energy and understanding. You are going to go far in life.
God bless you, Stefanie.

Marcindra LaPriel said...

Uh-huh, girl friend.

PS I miss your face