Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Attititude is everything...MOST OF THE TIME.

I used to be a firm believer that "Attitude is Everything." Well, that view changed this week. From Monday through Wednesday, I carried on my back everything I used to combat gusty winds, heavy rain, hail and 33 bad attitudes.
(the main character in this picture is Tony our teacher. It felt like he belonged in central park. He insisted on wearing that dang coat with SHORT shorts the entire time. And yes, this picture was a covert operation.)

Monday was: HECTIC
The first day of the Mevora Lakes adventure was pretty hectic. The 33 students (we actually have 34, but one wise girl chose not to come...) were pretty unhappy going into it, considering how previous tramps had gone with John Kappa and crew. The teachers give us a compass and a map, and let us work out how to get from point A to B. It got pretty hectic considering that a group of 16 of us had to communicate and agree on every angle and bearing before we began walking. It was also hectic when we got to camp and it started raining. I got attacked by my new enemy: the Spaniard. It is a pokey devil bush that attacks you and makes you scream and bleed. We set up a bivvy/shelter to prevent rain. It mostly worked...

Tuesday was: HELLACIOUS
We woke up to rain. We ate oatmeal in little bags, in the rain. We put away our bivvy and packed our bags, in the rain. I was already positive about the rain once on the Routeburn trip. I was packed and ready to tramp approximately an hour and a half before the group was set to go. I hate waiting in the rain. Once we started hiking, our group got divided and we chastised each other and disagreed on which way to go for what seemed like an hour. I was so frustrated I just screamed. It was pretty interesting to see how everyone handled the frustration. We got to the very peak of the mountain, and it was SO COLD I literally thought I was going to get hypothermia. Our instructors, obviously had the same thought, let us move down to the bushline to wait for the other half of the students. We waited for about an hour. I took off my cotton t-shirt, hugged lots of people, and did speed drills to keep my body moving. Death crossed my mind. Then we summited the mountain. The term "hellacious" is derived from this part of the day. I crossed a rocky, barren mountain for about 45 minutes that was nothing more than a cold purgatory. Each step created a new avalanche and my shoes were cutting into my ankles from the incline. My knee was throbbing from stickes and pokies having been shoved into my open wound. It was about that time that it began hailing. Ashley says, "Stef, I don't know what's goin on, but I'm getting PELTED!" And, did I mention that I had to go #2 that ENTIRE time, but since we were along the ridge, there were no squatting places? I submit that it just cannot get worse than that. I looked at the view, and marched along the ridgeline until we dropped down into a horseshoe shaped field where we camped. Dinner was good, and we slept under a bivvy. That night was actually the highlight of the trip because at night, everyone in the bivvy was just saying random things followed by "April Fools!" or, "April TRUTH!" It was hilarious! Here is a conversation that took place at 2:40am that night/morning.
Stef: (poking Ali) Hey Ali!
Ali: Hey.
Janessa: I'm WIDE AWAKE
Cam: grunt
Ali: Does anybody have any food? I've been STARVING since 1 am.
Taylor: I need some water!
Ali: FOOD!
Taylor: WATER!
Ali: FOOD!
Taylor: WATER!
Ali: FOOD!
Stef: ugh.
That conversation was the best thing of the week.

Wednesday was HAPPY!
The third day of camp was HAPPY! You know why? Because I got to kiss the vans! I have never been happier to see warmth and shelter than I was Wednesday. I woke up to a frozen water bladder, frost INSIDE my sleeping bag, frozen toes that wanted to snap off, but, a far higher morale among group members. It was suddenly funny that our shoelaces were hardly pliable after a night exposed to the elements. It was HAPPY to be told by our instructors that we did not actually have to brave a river, and that our next destination point was the vans. I was HAPPY to walk along the track talking with my friends. I was HAPPY to return to familiar ground that promised I was close to the van. I was HAPPY to get in the car where I had a soft seat and dry clothes to sit in. I was HAPPY to get back to Mags' house and take a shower! I was HAPPY to eat fresh vegetables!!!

So in the end of the day, it was a pretty miserable tramp. I'm glad to be home. Most of the time, attitude is everything, but considering the situation, it was just miserable. I can't think of one person who liked/loved it. Looking back, there were some good parts, but overall, it was just one awful experience in the wilderness. We are not going tramping again :) Just to Te Anu and Milford Sound next week where I will meet up with Mom and Dad on the CRUISE! Wahoo!!!

5 comments:

Heather said...

What a horrible trip! I am SO glad I was not along. That's the first time I've felt that way about your trip. Well, maybe the second. I guess I wouldn't have wanted to be hospitalized. Glad you're back home with Mags!

Ashley Shae said...

Haha, I almost died laughing. Everyone in the computer lab thought I was falling off my rocker.

It's great to look back at it now and laugh...but it really was miserable. I think you captured it quite well.

Marcindra LaPriel said...

Uh huh, girl friend. You got it right on the nose.

Alison Spencer said...

Yeah, that conversation was HILARIOUS. Oh man. I'm glad we survived Stef. We've got a fun couple of weeks ahead of us!!

Anonymous said...

I am leaving this morning for a lovely overnight trip to Columbia, in the Sonora Foothills. It used to be under Ken's jurisdiction when he was in the Park service. Your trip sounded just awful, but I guess you have to get your lumps in order to appreciate all the good things in life.